Sunday, June 21, 2015

The temple of ruins

Lived my entire life in CBD belapur. The small town has everything a 'new zealander' can crave for . The flora, the fauna , the creek ,the hills , the waterfalls .

 I am afraid of the dark unless it is the darkness in the hills of belapur and the old Devi temple which lies in clear sight. No one notices it though. But every now and then everyone who took an opportunity to look up in the hills  wouldnt miss it.

When I was a teenager, I had those hills  as last resort to my personal chaos, I never felt more empowered or secured except for my temple of ruins.

The temple of ruins , though not absolutely in ruins , lied absolutely in the midst of heaven and earth , laid before you in plain sight. A small walk through the central ground( now named the rajiv Gandhi maidan)  which can give a clear sight of the hills and the temple.
 The central ground was the azad maidan of belapur , a cricket heaven when you had a lot of fielders to play the game or  during summer and winter, a crab and dragonfly hunting ground during the rains. Would give you a chance to watch a snake or an alligator!

Once across the central ground , we had to cross the small bridge over the channel of the dam, which was created not  as a reservoir but as a channel to control the beautiful waterfall from its source, and then going through a small village , I would start the ascend.

The first few moments of small stairs , which are difficult to step on and also to jump on , I begin to climb the stairway ( stairway to heaven anyone) leaving me breathless in the first 10 minutes of climb.

Slowly after taking a breath or two , I walk through an unsolicited jungle , only to find stairs, broken and unattended, my will would scream hard to run through it only to be disappointed by my lungs and muscles. Every time I caught my breath , I would hurry through the stairs as an option  to reach my freedom.

I would reach out for every tree,rock or boulder as a sense of my past and my future unknown and finally it was there.

The temple , which laid in clear sight and known to a few , the temple which I view  and from where the goddess takes care of my beautiful small town, with creeks, hills and waterfalls.

My town I am in love with you

No comments:

Post a Comment